Services & Products
University Avenue Veterinary Hospital facilities include an intensive care ward, a separate isolation ward, climate-controlled kennel room and wildlife ward.
We have our own in-house laboratory, which allows us access to immediate results from blood tests, urine, faecal tests and cytology.
Our dedicated operating theatre is fully equipped with the latest surgical and monitoring equipment. This allows us to take the very best care of our patients during anaesthesia and surgery, while maintaining the highest of professional standards.
Veterinary services include:
- Preventative health checks
- Geriatric health checks
- Heartworm testing and injections
- Intestinal worming
- Flea and tick treatments, including Hydrobath
- Anal gland expression
- Nail clipping
- Beak and wing clipping
- Behaviour consultations
- Dental evaluations
- Puppy care advice
- Kitten care advice
- Puppy Preschool Classes
- Desexing Procedures
- Pre-anaesthetic blood screening
- Clinical pathology
- Urine evaluation
- Faecal evaluation
- Blood pressure testing
- Tonometry (ocular pressure reading)
- Pregnancy screening
- Skin allergy testing
- Genetic breed DNA testing
- Genetic disease screening
- Routine and non-routine Desexing
- Soft tissue surgery (including tumour removal, aural haematomas, gastrointestinal surgery)
- Orthopaedic surgery (including cruciate ligament surgery, fracture repair)
- Dental procedures, including polishing, cleaning and extraction of teeth
- Emergency procedures
We offer specialist small animal referral consultations with Dr Kim Smith of Northern Australia Veterinary Specialist Services. Dr Smith consults from our rooms and conducts diagnostic work-ups and surgical procedures using our facilities every second month.
We are also very lucky to have dermatology specialist Dr John Hutt from Dermatology For Animals, Skin and Ear Clinic provide dermatology consultations at our clinic several times a year. For information or to make a referral appointment, please contact DFA directly.
We also offer acupuncture, through Vet2Pet Acupuncture, to provide your pet with relief from pain and clinical disease. Some of the afflictions Dr Jodie Low Choy can treat include gastrointestinal, cardiac, respiratory, reproductive and urinary diseases. Arthritic and muscular pain can also be reduced with acupuncture.
More details can be found by visiting Vet2Pet Acupuncture.
University Avenue Veterinary Hospital offers a wide range of quality pet foods and pet-related merchandise, at very competitive prices.
You are guaranteed to receive free professional advice from our highly trained nurses, who can assist you in selecting the right products and food for your pet's needs.
To ensure your pet has healthy teeth, we also stock a range of dental hygiene products, including toothbrushes, pastes, dental chews and oral liquids and powders.
We also stock a range of products in store, such as:
- Tick and flea treatments
- Intestinal worm treatments
- Heartworm preventative medications
- Medicated shampoos and conditioners
- Natural soap-free shampoos and conditioners
- Premium quality pet meat, mince and bones
- Non-slip and scoff-stopper bowls
- Leads, collars and harnesses
- Pet ID tags
- Biolac and Wombaroo wildlife formulas.
Our friendly nurses are happy to guide you on the best practices for applying topical treatments to your pet at home and can teach you the tricks of the trade when it comes to administering oral medications and treatments.
Our do-it-yourself hydrobath is a simple and effective way to treat your dog for ticks and fleas. We use Fido's Fre-Itch Rinse Concentrate, a natural insecticide and gentle on your dog's coat and skin. Ask our nurses to show you how.